Relieve common menstrual symptoms with these helpful yoga poses for PMS and menstrual pain…
While the last thing you may want to do during “that time of the month” is exercise, doing yoga can actually help with many menstrual symptoms. You may have noticed this yourself, but there are a number of studies to back this up. A 2017 review published in the Journal of Alternative & Complementary Medicine looked at 15 different studies on treating various menstrual disorders such as PMS and menstrual pain with yoga techniques including asana, pranayama, and meditation. While each study examined different symptoms and took a different treatment approach, all showed relief of symptoms.
Other studies have found that certain yoga poses may be especially helpful in relieving menstrual cramps and other symptoms. If you are looking for some natural relief, you may want to try doing these poses to relieve your symptoms instead of reaching for pharmaceuticals. Below are 11 helpful yoga poses for PMS and menstrual pain relief. You can do these in sequence, or just do individual poses as needed. Remember to let your body be your guide, and do what feels good! (Also see this short class to help with menstrual symptoms.)
- Child’s Pose: According to this article, “by gently stretching the back, Child’s pose may help relieve headaches and release tension and moodiness.”
- Warrior II Pose: “This pose opens the hips and abdomen, increases mental focus, and helps ground the emotions.”
- Fish Pose: “…stretches out the upper back and belly, creating space and helping cramps diminish in intensity.”
- Supine Bound Angle Pose: This is a gentle way to open the hips and relieve bloating and constipation.
- Cat Pose: This pose stretches out the lower and upper back, which may help provide relief for cramps.
- Garland Pose: Stretches the thighs, opens the hips, and releases tension in the lower belly and back.
- Cobra Pose: “…stretches out the belly and creates gentle pressure, which may mitigate cramp severity.”
- Pigeon Pose: This pose creates a great stretch for the hips and lower back and can ease pain and tension and calm and relax the mind.
- Bridge Pose: “This is a gentle way to energize the body and can help with some hormonal issues while menstruating.”
- Wind Relieving Pose: Can help to release tension in the lower back and improve digestion.
- Corpse Pose: Savasana can help to balance and calm your nervous system and ease fatigue. You may wish to place a bolster or pillows behind your knees for support to maintain a neutral spine so you can relax fully in the pose for as long as you wish.
Read more at YogaBasics.com…