[Pose Of the Week] Elevated Prone Twist Pose (Beginner)
Rest, digest, and relax with Elevated Prone Twist Pose – the perfect restorative yoga pose for the holiday season!
This time of year, we could all use a little stress relief! That’s why restorative yoga is so helpful around the holidays. Elevated Prone Twist Pose – also known as Supported Belly Down Twist or simply Supported Twist – is a restorative yoga pose designed to help you rest, digest, and recharge, so it’s just what you need during the holiday season!
This gentle supported twist helps to relieve stress and tension in the muscles of the torso, improves blood flow to the stomach, and provides gentle stimulation for the digestive organs, liver, and spleen, helping you digest those big holiday meals. It also relieves tension in the back and hips, provides a gentle stretch for the intercostal muscles between the ribs, and encourages relaxation and rest.
This is a gentle pose that should be suitable for those of all fitness levels; however, be sure to listen to your body and adjust as needed to feel comfortable holding the pose for several minutes on each side.
For this restorative pose, 2 yoga blocks, a bolster, and 4 blankets are recommended.
To modify, you can experiment with performing the pose with just a bolster, without using the blocks for extra elevation.
How to Do Elevated Prone Twist Pose:
- Start by placing one block on the medium height and one on the lower height. Place your bolster on top of the blocks so the bolster slopes downward.
- Place a blanket in front of the bolster. Sit on the blanket with your right hip next to the bolster and the knees stacked.
- Place a blanket in between your knees. Place a blanket on each side of the bolster to support your arms.
- Begin by sitting upright and connecting to the breath, feeling the pelvis drop into the floor. Slowly rotate your torso towards the bolster and recline down on top of it.
- Rest comfortably here for 5-10 minutes, allowing your body to relax into the support of the props.
- Repeat on the other side.