Get ready for an advanced yoga challenge with Tip-Toe Bound Foot One-Legged Inverted Staff Pose!
Tip-Toe Bound Foot One-Legged Inverted Staff Pose (Prapada Baddha Pada Eka Pada Viparita Dandasana) is an advanced-level yoga pose that provides an intense stretch for the front- and back-body, while strengthening the back, core, upper body, and more. This back-bend pose is also thought to improve focus and coordination, stimulate the digestion, and activate the Heart and Third Eye chakras.
This mouthful of a pose is not for the faint-of-heart, nor for the beginner! You should be thoroughly comfortable with Wheel Pose, One Legged Inverted Staff Pose, and other back bend poses before attempting this one.
Those with shoulder, hip, knee, or back injuries, as well as those who suffer from high blood pressure, glaucoma, or headaches, or who are pregnant should avoid this pose.
How to Do Tip-Toe Bound Foot One-Legged Inverted Staff Pose:
1. Begin by lying flat on your back. Engage mula bandha and uddhiyana bandha, and begin with slow ujjayi breathing. Inhale and bring your hands under your shoulders with elbows bent and close to your head, with the fingertips pointing away from your head.
2. Exhale and bend your knees, keep your feet flat on the floor and slide your heels toward your sitting bones. Keep your feet in line with your sitting bones and parallel to each other with your toes pointing straight ahead.
3. Exhale as you lift your sitting bones and your back off the floor. Place the crown of your head onto the floor, balancing on your hands, head, and feet.
4. Exhale as you slide your right palm in the direction of your feet until your forearm is flat on the floor. On the next exhale, slide your left palm to meet your right. Interlock your fingers at the back of your head.
5. Exhale and lift your head off the floor.
6. On the next exhale, walk your feet toward your hands. Grab onto your left ankle with both hands.
7. Exhale as you lift your right foot off the floor, keeping your right leg strong and straight with toes pointing up to the sky.
8. Inhale and lift your left heel, coming onto the toes of the left foot, while holding onto the left toes with both hands. Hold the pose for at least 30, and up to 90, seconds in order to receive the full benefits of the stretch on the right side.
9. Inhale and lower the left heel to the floor, followed by the right foot. Exhale and grab onto the right ankle with both hands. On the following exhale, lift your left foot off the floor, keeping your left leg strong and straight with toes pointing up to the sky.
10. Repeat step 8 above on the right side.
11. Inhale and lower your right heel to the floor, followed by your left foot. Exhale and lower your head to the floor. Exhale and tuck your chin to your chest and roll your spine gently down to the floor to come out of the pose. Rest on your back for a few breaths, and then move into Child’s Pose to gently reverse the spinal stretch.